Saturday 18 November 2017

The Northern Lights with Lynne


Following our current challenge for the Design Team, this months sees Lynne trying out a new technique and she has created a glorious sky depicting the Norther Lights or to give them their correct title the Aurora Borealis. I will hand you over to Lynne to tell us how she created it................


The current mid-month challenge for our DT is to try something new. Living in the north of the UK gives us the chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis, if conditions are favourable, and since we moved up here a few years ago I have been lucky enough to see them just once. I follow the Aurorawatch UK website, which sends out alerts when there is the possibility of aurora, and last week there was a red alert, meaning that there was a very good chance of seeing some if the skies were clear! Unfortunately not from here, though, as it was too misty.

However, it reminded me that I have been meaning for ages to have a go at the Northern Lights technique, so that is my something new for this month.

I had a look at a few tutorials, and learned that there is more than one method of producing the effect, using various colours of card for the background. The one I decided to follow was by Emma from Inkylicious, and you can see her video here. This uses black card. Mindful of our one layer theme this month, I worked directly on to the base card (after quite a few practice attempts!). 


I didn't get the sweep of the aurora quite how I wanted them, and I think less would have been better (got a bit carried away!), but I'm reasonably happy with the final result as a first effort. I made my own landscape stencils, all stamps are by Inkylicious. It was a fun (not to mention messy!) technique to try, and I'll certainly be having another go!

Thank you so much Lynne, I am sure we will be reaching for our inks.

10 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Such amazing creation!! LOVE the effect, so realistic!

Craftyfield said...

When I saw the scene I immediately thought of Scottish Landscapes! Beautifully designed, Lynne, and the Aurora borealis effect is really effective. I'm hopping to the video forthwith I'm that excited!!

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely stunning Brenda, fabulous colouring and scene. It's a great technique, Kate x

Fikreta said...

stunning card!

pinky said...

Absolutely stunning Lynne!

Dortesjs said...

amazing creation, love it ;O))

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Brilliant card, Lynne, had peep at video too, I think your is better saw, whilst pooping around you tube videos an amazing borealis at Cathness in 2014. I’ve been three times to UK for four five weeks apiece and never ever saw the northern hemisphere sky, once in Manchester I saw A star! Yep just one. We’ve such amazing skies here in Oz, it was a total let down.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Argh!!! Meant popping not pooping around videos, I’ve done that more than once!
I guess you won’t read this anyway. ;)

Barb said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Brenda and a lovely technique. Barbxx

Lynne K said...

I did read it, Shaz, and it made me smile! And thank you for your kind words. The skies in the rural area where I live now are pretty amazing too. Very little light pollution here. The Milky Way is stunning on a clear night. But when I lived in the city I never saw it.

Lynne x