Wednesday 18 April 2018

Sandra's candle

Good morning and welcome to our mid month post where currently the DT are trying out something new to them and this month it's Sandra's turn so I will hand you over to her

Hello there, it's my turn to offer some mid-month inspiration by trying something new. Now, I've always wanted to have a go at stamping on candles but I've never got round to it before, so here goes  😊 I checked out a couple of videos on You Tube before I started to see how people had coloured their images.  As you need to stamp and colour tissue paper, it's a very delicate operation.

As our theme this month is 'One for the Girls,' I thought I'd opt for something floral as we all love our flowers, so I chose to use 'Rose Bloom' by Stacey Barras as it was a really good fit for the candle that I was using.

I decided to use my Stamping Press as I wasn't quite sure how well the Stazon Ink would print onto the tissue paper.  Here is the process, step by step in photos:

Stamped twice onto tissue paper with Stazon ink

Delicately coloured using Derwent Inktense pencils

I got very brave at this stage and used a damp water brush to intensify the colour. I also used a red colour brush to darken some of the red areas.

Next, I cut out the image, leaving just a little white tissue showing around the image.

I laid the cut out image over the candle and wrapped a piece of baking parchment tightly around the candle.  Using a heat gun to adhere the tissue paper to the candle, it was like embossing magic as you can see the wax melting as you move along.  It's important to keep your heat gun moving so as not to create any holes with the hot wax, it all happens very quickly.


The end result!  I added a piece of ribbon and a matching bow around the base of the candle to add the finishing touch.

For a first attempt, I'm very happy with the end result, although I would like to have another go and just leave it at the stage where it's been coloured with the pencils as I think that would give a subtle sketchy look.  

I've thoroughly enjoyed trying a new technique (For me) and I hope that I just might have inspired you to have a go if you've never tried stamping on candles before. 

Happy Crafting, Sandra x   

Thanks so much Sandra, I have a feeling lots of us will be having a go at this.


9 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous

gr karin

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful candle, well done!!!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow, fabulous! I have never tried this technique, thanks for the tips!

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely beautiful Sandra, I always melt the candle whenever I try this, lovely floral image and gorgeous colouring, Kate x x

Fikreta said...

so great !

Dora said...

This is so beautiful

pinky said...

It's absolutely beautiful Sandra, love the colours!! Need to have a go at this again.

Marianne said...

So pretty!

creationsnz said...

Bravo, great result! CarolG